I try to be a yarn snob. Here in Israel the only wool sold is up to 30% wool, so when I can't get yarn from overseas I'm stuck, but my long-term goal is wean myself away from petro-chemicals. I do like Lion Brand's Magic Stripes, though.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Both. I spin whatever I can get my hands on (even dryer lint and cotton balls) and have about a dozen spindles, a Louet S-10 wheel, and a Babe charka. I mainly crochet yarmulkas in #5 or #8 crochet thread, but I also like crocheting with beads and with audio tape.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I don't, but The Spouse is allergic to pets (our cat lives outdoors) and perfumes.
4. How long have you been knitting?
About 15 years, though intensively only 6 or 7. I've been crocheting 35 years and spinning 3.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have an Amazon wish list.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Rose, and after that citrus.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but I keep strictly kosher, so any sweets must have rabbinical certification (like the OU, OK, Kof-K, etc.).
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I weave with a Kromski rigid heddle, I do some basic beading and want to learn more, I sometimes cross stitch (less than I used to, but since my daughter's gotten into it, I've started again), and I garden. I love miniatures, but don't have time to learn as much about them as I'd like.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My computer can play MP3s. I like contemporary Israeli music, Broadway, and the music I grew up with--the 1970s and 1980s.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Right now my favorite colors are orange and deep purple (no, not together. I'm strange, but not crazy!), but before that it was shades of blue. In
general, I prefer stronger, more saturated colors. I don't totally hate anything, though I can't say I'm particularly fond of chartruese. (Except as a word. I adore the word. Just say it a few times, roll it around your mouth. Doesn't it just have the best bite?)
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married and have one teenaged son, two teenaged daughters. We also have a 2 year old cat.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To live on the beach in Gush Katif (which we may yet do within the next year or two). To own an RV and travel around the States, working 4 days a week and touring the other 2. (And then there's the Sabbath). To live long enough to spin/knit/crochet/weave all my stash. To be the world's coolest grandmother and the mother of a weapons designer, a groundbreaking historian, and an award-winner director. To be married to the world's best scribe. To edit the Great American Novel.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
So far my favorites are anything I've spun myself. In Israel I don't have access to most of the name brand yarns, so I might like them were I ever to try them.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Audio tape's a pain (literally) to work with. I also don't like very plastic-y acrylics, and I can see only very limited uses for fun-fur.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks. I love self-patterning yarn.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
17. What are you knitting right now?
Socks (notice a trend?)
18. What do you think about ponchos?
In theory I like them, but since I cover my hair for religious reasons, I can't really wear them; when I take a poncho off, my head scarf tends to go along for the ride.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular--they can do what a straight can, but backwards and in high heels.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
In general bamboo, but for socks I like plastic (love Bryspun for larger gauge socks!).
21. Are you a sock knitter?
See answers 15, 16, and 17 above. :-)
22. How did you learn to knit?
I saw a sweater pattern in a women's magazine, liked it, and asked a neighbor to teach me knit and purl. The rest I taught myself.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
My Mariah, 8 months stranded in UFO land.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Tweety Bird, and any mouse character.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Sukkot--the guys do the hard work, and we have most of a week to hang out with the family.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Dust bunnies and worries. Frequent flyer points. Scripts from the 1976-1981 TV show Eight is Enough.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None. When I'm in the States I load up on whatever looks interesting. I do subscribe to Spin-Off, though.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Double Weaving on the Rigid Heddle Frame Loom. I've got to learn how to produce cloth for sewing. Any books having to do with my kids' family histories.