Friday, September 29, 2006

Not-so-random facts

1. The Oldest Teen has finally heard from the army about his placement. He's been accepted into the Atudah program (which is basically ROTC), to study aerospace engineering at the Technion. And to think that this is the child the regional council wanted to force into special ed...

2. Word to the wise: never be the first woman in my town to give birth in a new year. Last year the first birth was quadruplets, this year it was only twins.

3. Only in a small town department: Second day of Rosh Hashanah and I'm awake, but still in bed. The Teens have already gone to synagogue and The Spouse is putting on his shoes and socks, getting ready to leave. Our bedroom door is opened up by someone calling The Spouse's name. "What, this isn't TheNextDoorNeighbors' House?" she asks, a little angrily. "No, it's ours. TheNextDoorNeighbors live next door," The Spouse replies while I sink under the covers, trying to hide from TwoDoorsDownNeighbor's mother, who was supposed to go to NextDoorNeighbor and wake her grandson (who has the same first name as The Spouse) for prayers. Think this will stop my neighbors who are always telling me how far-too-American looking my house is, when their's (they claim) isn't?

4. I'm working my way through the Mason-Dixon book; I've already knitted more from this book than from any other knitting book I own. I've done many, many felted baskets and am now working on a crop of baby kimonos (babies are SmallTown's national product). This is done in garter stitch and only one tie (never did like the look of two) in Hibiscus Yarns hand-dyed:


5. To the person who got here by Googling Jewish men allowed to knit -- whyever not?

6. I'm not sure if I find this deeply cool or deeply disturbing. There's a new mixtape CD DJ Handler presents Y-Love, and one clip is on Y-Love's My Space site. So's a warning against listen to that clip, because some of the samples include female singers. (a)If it's forbidden to listen to them, why put them up on the site? (b)How many Charedi mean who'd obey the warning are actually trawling My Space?

7. G'mar Tov!

9 comments:

amysue said...

I've been meaning to wish you and yours a sweet new year (perhaps I'll see you in San Diego next year if I get there).

Lucy said...

That kimono looks so soft!!!! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Congrats re: your son % the army. And the kimono looks wonderful! Great job. G'mar hatimah tovah.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Oldest Teen! and the kimono makes me wish I were a baby again myself...

Angela said...

Very nice work. I enjoy reading about your little town in Israel. I hope you'll keep writing. (and knitting)

Angg

Angela said...

Very nice work. I enjoy reading about your little town in Israel. I hope you'll keep writing. (and knitting)

Angg

Batya said...

Gifted is also "special ed." He must be really something!

and we live in "Levitown" all the houses look the same, like Pete Seager sang.

Anonymous said...

FYI, I tried to get the mixtape clip from being put up on the site. Hence why in Hebrew I said, "v'gam machiti", I also objected. Very few artists can tell their record labels what they can and can't put out once the contract is signed.

The result of the negotiations and my complaints & objections? A charedi-friendly remix is being released shortly. And, by the way, please feel free to learn Torah with us in the MySpace yeshiva - Yeshivat MySpace.

There's going to be at least a few charedim on MySpace if we have anything to do with it :)

Anonymous said...

I found you and yoru very nice Kimono on the Mason Dixon KAL. I was wondering what size baby will your kimono fit? Did you use the newborn pattern in the book? I want to make a set of KImons for each size range, i.e. newborn,3-6.6-9. The problem is I am not sure how to do that, ( I am a new knitter). If you have any suggestions please feel free to email me :butterflyanla6318@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Anla