Tuesday, September 13, 2005

SP 6 Questionnaire

SP6 match-ups are due out today. A lot of the answers are the same as last time. Some are significantly different.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I used not to be a snob. But now that government ministers are beginning to assure us that there will be no more expulsions from Judea and Samaria, or that it will be several years until more expulsions, the more I'm convinced I'm going to become homeless in the not-too-distant future. So I'd better start thinking in terms of what stash is worth paying the army's enormous storage fees on. I'm not paying $1,500 per truckload per month to store acrylic.
So--short answer: yes, very much so.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Yes to both. Spindle and wheel spinning, yarn and thread crochet.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I don't, but The Spouse is allergic to smoke, pets, and perfume. I only wear perfumed products during the months he's out of the country.

4. How long have you been knitting?
About 15 years, though intensively only 6 or 7. I've been crocheting 35 years and spinning 3.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have an Amazon wish list.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Rose, and after that citrus.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but I keep strictly kosher, so any sweets must have rabbinical certification (like the OU, OK, Kof-K, etc.).

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I weave with a Kromski rigid heddle, I do some basic beading and want to learn more, I sometimes cross stitch (less than I used to, but since my daughter's gotten into it, I've started again), and I garden. I love miniatures, but don't have time to learn as much about them as I'd like.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My computer can play MP3s. I like contemporary Israeli music, Broadway, and the music I grew up with--the 1970s and 1980s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm getting back into black, and I still like orange and deep purple. Before that it was shades of blue. In general, I prefer stronger, more saturated colors. I don't totally hate anything, though I can't say I'm particularly fond of chartreuse. (Except as a word. I adore the word. Just say it a few times, roll it around your mouth. Doesn't it just have the best bite?)

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married and have one teenaged son, two teenaged daughters. We also have a 2 year old cat.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Not to be made homeless by unilateral decision of the Israeli government, chasing an unrealistic fever-dream.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
So far my favorites are anything I've spun myself. In Israel I don't have access to most of the name brand yarns, so I might like them were I ever to try them.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Audio tape's a pain (literally) to work with. I also don't like very plastic-y acrylics, and I can see only very limited uses for fun-fur.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Knitty's Cinxia, because I'm itching to get it on the needles.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks. Quick and easy, and they don't become UFOs.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Amble from the 6 Socks KAL, my second Clapotis, and a tank top for myself. And, as always Mariah and the Mystery Stole, which isn’t a mystery any more.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
In theory I like them, but since I cover my hair for religious reasons, I can't really wear them; when I take a poncho off, my head scarf tends to go along for the ride. Pity, because the poncho from the Knitting Pattern a Day calendar which was featured yesterday is exactly the poncho I've been thinking of making myself for about 30 years (minus the fringe).

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular--they can do what a straight can, but backwards and in high heels.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Yes, please!

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Unredeemably so.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I saw a sweater pattern in a women's magazine, liked it, and asked a neighbor to teach me knit and purl. The rest I taught myself.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Mariah. 11 months and counting.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Tweety bird, cartoon mice, and flamingos, real or cartoon.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Sukkot--the guys do the hard work, and we have most of a week to hang out with the family.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Dust bunnies and worries. Frequent flyer points. Buyers' club cards which can be attached to keychains. Scripts from the 1976-1981 TV show Eight is Enough.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None. When I'm in the States I load up on whatever looks interesting. I do subscribe to Spin-Off, though.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Double Weaving on the Rigid Heddle Frame Loom. I've got to learn how to produce cloth for sewing. Any books having to do with my kids' family histories.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
The silk corset pattern. Rouge. I'm getting into downloadable patterns now, because I won't have to pay the army to store them when they steal my house.

What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
Ankle circumference 9.5" (24cm), back of ankle to top of big toe the same. I love me some knee socks, but generally am too lazy and make the tops between 6 and 8 inches.

No comments: