Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Blame the lack of posting on Lolly

Lolly posted about Ancestry.com and I fell into the gaping maws of the time suck. I'll never get as nice a family tree as she has, because my family arrived only in 1898, 1912, and 1947, but I still have found census information on my in-laws, grandparents, and great-grandparents. I've even tried their "find famous ancestors." Um, no. No way am I related to all those famous goyim. Nice try, though.

But at least it's taught me not to complain. Sure, I have 3 teens to feed, but my poor great-grandmother had 19 mouths to feed every single day (see lines 43 to the end below; click to enbiggen). And no tanorexics, either--family and farmhands (yes, a farm in the middle of Queens, NY, bordered by Woodhaven Blvd. and Union Turnpike).
grandma 1920 census

2 comments:

Diane H said...

Nice to read about you again. My husband was seduced by ancestry.com. Found out way too many skeletons in the closet, with his relatives on both sides of the Mason/Dixon line. He straightened out some myths in my family but as we have DAR all around, there weren't many unknowns. Alas, no farms in Brooklyn either.

Diane H said...

I mean Queens.